The Church Council is the governing body of Christ Lutheran Church. It is made up of 17 members, each with a specific area of responsibility, plus the pastor.
• Official representative of the congregation in all matters
• Presides over Church Council meetings
• Committees - Constitution, Nominating, Budget
• Assists the president and substitutes when he/she cannot be president
• Holds another council position
• Committees - Constitution, Nominating, Budget
• Oversees the church insurance policies to include Little Lights Preschool and the parsonage.
• Maintains files of all legal documents of the church.
• Administers various human resources functions including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, orientation, training and all employee documentation.
• Serves a human resources liaison for church staff.
• Maintains current job descriptions for all staff members.
• Maintains complete and up-to-date personnel files on all employees.
• Conducts verbal and written job performance discussions with support staff.
• Monitors and adjusts, if necessary, support staff performance.
• Works with Pastors to implement personnel policies and procedures.
• Committees - Budget, Staff Support
• Oversees the following educational ministries:
• Sunday School
• Adult Bible Study
• Vacation Bible School
• Reach out to the community at large with information about the church and its activities
• Organize new member meetings with council members
• Work with the webmaster of the church website to keep information current.
• Maintain reading material in the wall racks
• Reach out to inactive members
• Coordinate volunteers for the Sunday fellowship hour
• Delegate, coordinate or assist with church events such as pot-luck meals, women’s/men’s breakfasts, food concessions and bereavement meals
• Insure kitchen supplies are available and maintained
• Schedule periodic kitchen cleanups
• Assign and distribute offering envelopes yearly
• Maintain weekly contribution records
• Maintain and post Simply Giving statements bi-monthly
• Create and distribute semi-annual contribution statements to congregation members including final statement by end of January
• Maintain labels for contribution envelopes and statements
• Coordinate major fundraising events
• Advise council and staff on physical plant needs
• Work with church staff to quantify maintenance and improvement requests
• Plan and coordinate required maintenance work and improvements
• Supervise contractors performing inside property work in the church
• Manage snow and ice removal from parking lots and sidewalks
• Manage grass cutting, bush trimming, and flower bed maintenance
• Manage refuse pickup
• Coordinate spring and fall cleanups
• Manage repairs and improvements to the outside property of the church and parsonage
• Oversee the management relationship with the preschool director
• Coordinate the advertisement of church events in local newspapers, community flyers, and the church website
• Send notices of church events to other congregations and institutions
• Facilitate the creation of signs and posters for church events
• Plan and coordinate charitable events such as Christmas Tree gifts, bi-yearly used clothing and food drives (ie; Angel Tree, Souls for Souls)
• Coordinate food delivery to the neighborhood food pantry and pet food to the local animal shelter
• Make recommendations on the disbursement of charitable funds
• Facilitate sorting and quarterly delivery of donated toiletries, greeting cards and eyeglasses to various organizations in need
• Coordinate volunteers for monthly lunch preparation and delivery to soup kitchen
• Organize volunteers for semi-annual Habitat for Humanity service builds
• Represent CLC at monthly ELC Food Pantry meetings
• Coordinate volunteers & plan monthly activities for the residents at Assisted Living residence
• Record and distribute the minutes of council meetings
• Oversee the maintenance of and additions to the church archives
• Plan and manage stewardship drives
• Create and distribute stewardship brochures, posters and information
• Serves as financial officer of the congregation
• Responsible for payment of all bills, invoices and charges
• Performs or oversees all of the bookkeeping functions
• Prepares the monthly financial reports for the church council
• Files all of the required Federal and State tax forms
• Monitors the cash position of the congregation and invests available funds as directed
• Empowered to borrow funds as directed by the church council
• Provides the congregation with any requested financial information
• Assists in the preparation of the Annual Budget for the church council
• Committees - Budget
• Oversees of the music ministries of CLC
• Oversees and schedules service assistants, including the ushers, lay assisting ministers, greeters, acolytes, and candle bearers
• Oversees the Altar Guild
• Provides thematic focus and activities recommendations to Lenten and Advent services
• Schedules music for summer services
• Monitors expenses for relevant responsibilities
• Writes and solicits information for annual reports for these activities.
• Plans and coordinates events for Luther League and Confirmation youth
• Assists with Sunday School planning and events when required
• Assists with Vacation Bible School event planning and coordination
• Committees - Youth